Hospice Patients Alliance: Consumer Advocacy

Find Physician Consultants To Review Your Case
Expert Witnesses

If you are considering filing a civil suit or getting a criminal conviction in a wrongful death, negligence or involuntary euthanasia case, you will need legal counsel and a physician's review of your loved one's case. Quite often, an attorney or criminal prosecutor will not even take a case on officially, until it has been reviewed by medical experts. You may also need a nursing legal consultation. Nursing legal consultants can help establish a case for the civil courts and also point out violations of standards of care that may get a prosecutor to go forward with a criminal case. Resources to find nurse legal consultants are listed for your convenience.

Need to File Complaint with State Medical Board

In addition, if you are considering some form of legal action, most courts will want to know what the state Medical Board has determined with regard to the case. You can file a complaint with the State Medical Board as a necessary first step toward legal action. It is wise to get a medical review of the case before filing a complaint with the State Medical Board, since an expert physician may point out areas of malpractice or violations of standards of care which you may not be aware of. You will need to get a copy of the medical record, and a "complete" copy of the medical record. If you are having difficulty getting the medical record, please look at some suggestions about how to get the medical record.

For Expert Medical Witnesses

The American Academy of Pediatrics has an informative description of Guidelines for Expert Witness Testimony in Medical Liability Cases that applies to other areas as well. You may wish to read this to get an idea what an expert medical witness will be working on and how they go about their work.

The medical malpractice attorney who is reviewing your loved one's case will probably have medical expert witnesses that he or she regularly works with. However, if you need to find an expert medical witness, you can try the following resources who may provide that service or work with a physician as expert witness:

  • Dr. Kim Kuebler, DNP, APRN, ANP-BC (Doctorate Level Nurse Practitioner, Prof. of Palliative Care, Author of texts on hospice & palliative care
    Director & Founder Multiple Chronic Conditions Resource Center
    Tel. 912.547.0905

  • Nancy Valko, RN
    Valko Group, LLC, Legal Nurse Consulting for your next medically related case. See:
    Tel. (314) 504-5208

  • Findlaw.com: Ask an attorney

  • Med-Mal Experts, Inc.

  • Search This Site

      About Us   | Disclaimer | Donations | Euthanasia Issues | FAQS
    Find Hospices | Find Nurse Consult | Help | Home | Hospice Books
    Hospice News Center | Hospice Regulations | Newsletter | Privacy Policy
    HPA is a nonprofit, charitable   501 (c)  (3)  Patient Advocacy Organization
    Hospice Patients Alliance, 4680 Shank Street, Rockford, MI 49341

    All material copyright of Hospice Patients Alliance ("HPA") unless otherwise credited.